Thursday, March 7, 2013

Eat Clean Basics

    I'm sure all of you are wondering, "Well, how can I eat clean?" Let me first state that this is not a diet, a quick fix or miracle weight loss. You will loose weight but you need to approach this as a permanent lifestyle change and stick with it. Yes! That means giving up some things you love or as i like to say addicted to.  You can have a treat meal or treat every once in a while but that means once a week, not a whole day and not a more than once a week. I started this journey by first detoxing my body as it will be easier for you to start eating correctly by getting rid of the toxins and poisons in your body that cause triggers. As mentioned in my previous blog I used Celeste and Phil Davis' Wonderfully Well Workshop detox that is in their book.  Not only did I feel great doing this but it changed my mood, metabolism and even weight. Yes, if you stick with eating clean you will loose weight because you are fueling your body to work during the day, not just to eat but to propel you. Listed below are the basics of eating clean and the Eat Clean Diet. I also recommend that you purchase Tosca Renos book, Just The Rules for more detailed information. Remember you need to be the one to do the research and learn what you are putting into your body as you only get one body for life.

  • Eat Whole Foods: whole food are foods that have not bee processed or changed to be what they are. They have no preservatives, additives and junk that can cause major harm to our bodies. This is fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, whole grains, non-hormone and non-antibiotic meats, cheeses and other dairy products
  • Avoid all processed foods: Yes, I know this is going to be hard but if it was easy everyone would be doing it! This is anything with a product label and a label usually means its been manufactured. I usually use one rule on this because it is really hard to avoid this especially with pastas and my favorite Ezekiel breads. Read the labels, be sure that if you can't pronounce it in the ingredient list the do not buy it or even put it into your body. In the world of GMO foods we have no idea what kind of crap they are sneaking into our foods.
  • Completely eliminate refined sugars: Ohh this one hurts but I will make it easier for you. If you want the sweets bake them your selves and use honey, agave nectar, coconut sugar, palm sugar or other natural sugar replacements. But I emphasize on the NATURAL! Check out Tosca Reno's article on striking sugar and how addictive this stuff is.This also includes alcohol, now I do have a glass of wine every once in a while but not the whole Bota Box! Be sure if you do decide to drink it's not beer or sugar laden mixed cocktails. Make smart choices and wine and strait up liquor is better than choosing something that has over 500 calories and will leave you bloated.
  • Eat small meals and eat often: I understand that this can be a very foreign concept for some of you and a lot of you believe in the, "eat when your hungry mentality" and that's great but if you would just give this two weeks you will be hungry every three to four hours. The science behind this is once you start feeding your body this way, like we were when we were babies, it will sky rocket your metabolism! You will be a fat burning, energy machine with no 3:00 pm crash at work. Eating this way you will never be left feeling hungry and will be satisfied so your not snacking on the junk. I eat at 7:00 am, 10:00 am, 1:00 pm, 4:00 pm and my final meal 7:00 pm and sometimes I'll even have a casein shake before bed depending upon how hard I trained during my night workout. It really did take me a while to get used to this but now if I skip a meal I'm dying of hunger. I have lost more weight eating this way than eating three square meals a day. If this is something that is hard for you set an alarm on your watch or cell phone to alert you when to eat.
  • Be a home maker and make your own meals: This is very important because you are insuring,what is being made and put into all of your meals. This insures that you are getting healthy clean eats and not some frozen weight watcher crap that leaves you feeling hungry and wanting more food. Are you having a hard time finding recipes and ideas? There are a ton on Pinterest, Eat Clean Blog and other various websites, just search the web for them.
  • Drink, Drink, Drink Water!!!!: Be sure you are drinking water and a lot of it. Why? Because this is what flushes the fat out of your body that you are getting rid of by eating correctly and working out. Well, how much should I drink? Take your body weight and divide it in half and drink that number in ounces. Yes, you can have tea and coffee but be sure its clean, without sugars.
   These are the simple rules I follow along with taking my supplements and working out five days a week. You might not be able to do all this at once but start out small and then slowly start expanding until you have completely switched over. I promise you, you will never go back to eating junk and when you do your body will reject it and you will feel sick. That is what junk does to your body. Feed your body and feed it wholesome foods!


No comments:

Post a Comment