Friday, March 22, 2013

Weekly Bites: Lunch

Strawberry Spinach Salad


I have been obsessed with berries, always have been, always will! So I decided to take a favorite salad I get out to eat and clean it up. I use organic spinach that I got from Costco at $4.00 for a huge container. I also got a huge flat of strawberries there along with goat cheese. I love goat cheese and usually use this and Parmesan cheese as my go to cheese. Costco has an amazing deal on two huge logs of goat cheese for the price of one log of goat cheese that you would find at Kroger or Publix. I also make my own salad dressing and I make enough to last me for one week. Now for the recipe!


2 - large handfuls of spinach
5 - sliced strawberries
1 - Small Slice of goat cheese crumbles
1/2 - Avocado sliced

I just toss everything into a large bowl and spoon dressing over usually 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons of dressing. Feel free to add a lean protein such as shrimp, salmon or chicken. Steak would even be delicious.

Homemade Bragg's Dressing:
2/3 cup of grape seed oil
1/3 cup of Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar 
3 Tablespoons of Bragg's Nutritional Yeats
1 Tablespoon of honey
1/2 Teaspoon of black pepper, garlic and onion powder

I put all the ingredients into a salad dressing shaker and shake it to mix it together. Store in the fridge for to a month. Recipe can be doubled and tripled depending upon how often you use it.

Salsa Chicken 


Salsa chicken is a main stay in my kitchen. I make it once a week every week as it has a million different uses. Make tacos, enchiladas, salads, power bowls, even omelets. Being from Houston, TX I'm a Mexican food junkie! I eat it out and cook a lot of Tex-Mex and Mexican foods, even my own corn tortillas. This recipe is so easy and its a budget friendly item! This will cost you under $ 10.00 and can feed up to four for a week. Or if your like me I eat it for my mid-morning, mid-afternoon snack and with my lunches. Oh! and it's made in the crock-pot! Hello!!!! Mother's out there, it's easy!


1 - value pack of chicken, this is usually 6 - 7 chicken breast. (either Kroger or Publix)
1 - full jar of salsa, I use Arrbia Garlic and Cilantro Salsa or Frontera Double Roasted Tomato Salsa
1 - packet of McCormick Fajita Seasoning (I know weird a "processed food" but it is MSG free and I haven't found anything else that taste as good and I'm working on a better recipe)

Put everything into a crock-pot before you go to bed with the setting on low. In the morning you have perfect pull apart chicken. I usually portion it out into my grab and go containers. I also eat a half of an avocado with it and fresh squeezed limes.

Till next time stay motivated and remember you can do anything you set your mind too! Eat healthy and drink a crap ton of water people!

No comments:

Post a Comment